- Engine: 2 Cycle/Stroke Top Mounted Low Emission Engine
- Trigger: Variable Speed Throttle
- Cutting Width: 17 in. cutting swath
- String Diameter: .095 in. dual line
- Line Advancement: Bump Feed
- Attachment Coupler: universal attachment coupler
- Weight: 10.8 lb.
2 Cycle Curved Shaft String Trimmer
Model: #RY28020 | Home Depot Sku #: 997255
The RYOBI 2 Cycle Curved Shaft String Trimmer delivers power and dependable performance to each lawn. The low emission 2 stroke engine makes for easy starting with every use. The curved shaft allows for a lighter unit making the trimmer ideal for shorter individuals and more comfortable for trimming larger yards. The RYOBI 2 Cycle Curved Shaft String Trimmer accepts Expand-It universal attachments. Quickly convert this trimmer to eight other tools (attachments sold separately). Backed by a RYOBI 3 year warranty, no job is too big for the RYOBI 2 Cycle Curved Shaft String Trimmer.
Reliable 2 Cycle Engine
Attachment Capable: Accepts universal outdoor attachments
REEL-EASY™ bump-feed string head for fast and easy reloading
17 in. cut width with .095 in. dual line
Curved shaft for lighter handling
- CS26 String Trimmer
- Comfort Grip Front Handle
- Curved Shaft Grass Guard/Deflector
- 2 Stroke Engine Lubricant
- Operator’s Manual
How do I advance the line on my REEL-EASY™ String Head?
Line advance is controlled by tapping the string trimmer head on grass while running engine at full throttle
- Run the engine at full throttle
- Tap the knob on ground to advance line. The line advances each time the knob is tapped. Do not hold the knob on the ground
NOTE: The line trimming cut-off blade on the grass deflector will cut the line to the correct length
NOTE: If the line is worn too short, you may not be able to advance the string by tapping it on the ground. If so, stop the engine and manually advance the line.
How do I attach the front handle to my RYOBI Gas String Trimmer?
- Remove the wing nut, washer, and bolt from the front handle.
- Install the front handle onto the top side of the drive shaft housing in the area indicated by the label.
NOTE: The open side of the handle should face the user
- Place the bolt through the front handle
NOTE: the hex bolt head fits inside the hex recess molded into one side of the handle.
- Reinstall the washer and wing nut.
- Tighten wing nut securely.
How do I attach the grass deflector to my gas string trimmer?
- Remove hex screw, washer, and wing nut from the grass deflector.
- Press the grass deflector onto the bottom of the shaft.
- Insert the hex screw through the grass deflector and the bracket on the shaft.
- Place the washer on the hex screw.
- Place the wing nut on the hex screw and tighten securely.
How do I manually advance the line on my REEL-EASY™ String Head?
- Stop the engine and disconnect the spark plug wire to ensure you will not be harmed
- Push the knob in while pulling on line(s) to manually advance the line
How do I replace the line on my REEL-EASY™ String Head?
- Stop the engine and disconnect the spark plug wire to ensure you will be safe while replacing the line.
- Rotate the spool clockwise as necessary to align the arrows on the spool.
- Cut one piece of trimmer line at approx. 20ft. in length. Insert the line in the eyelet on the string trimmer housing. Push until the end of the line comes out the opposite side of the string head. Pull the line from the other side until equal amounts of line are on both sides of the spool.
- Rotate the spool clockwise to wind the line on the spool until approx. 6 in. of line is showing on each side.
- Push the spool retainer down while pulling on line(s) to manually advance line and to check for proper assembly of the on the string head.
How do I start my RYOBI 2 Cycle String Trimmer?
To start a cold engine:
- Slowly press the primer bulb 10 times.
- Set the choke lever to the START (A) position.
- Squeeze the throttle trigger fully and pull the starter handle until the engine runs. Do not pull the start grim more than six (6) times.
NOTE: Keep the throttle trigger squeezed fully through remaining steps. If the engine does not start, start over at the first step with pressing the primer bulb.
- Allow the engine to run for 10 second, then set the choke lever to the RUN (B) position.
To start a warm engine:
Slowly press the primer bulb 10 times.
Set the choke lever to the RUN (B) position.
Squeeze the throttle trigger fully and pull the starter handle until the engine runs.
How do I stop my RYOBI Gas String Trimmer?
To stop the engine, depress the STOP switch to the stop position
How should I store my 2 Cycle Gas String Trimmer?
- Clean all foreign material from the product. Store idle unit in a garage or shed in a dry, well-ventilated area that is inaccessible to children. Keep away from corrosive agents such as garden chemicals and de-icing salts. Abide by all local regulations for the safe store and handling of gasoline
When storing 1 month or longer:
- Drain all fuel from string trimmer tank into a container approved for gasoline. Run engine until it stops
What is the best way to cut weeds and grass using my string trimmer?
- Keep your string trimmer tilted toward the area being cut
- Pass the unit from left to right (if using a curved shaft string trimmer) and from right to left (if using a straight shaft string trimmer). By following these directional cutting paths, you will avoid having debris and grass clippings from being directed back at yourself.
- Use the top of the line to do the cutting. Do not force the string head into uncut grass; this could cause the trimmer to bog down.
- Avoid trees, shrubs wire and picket fences.
What is the correct fuel mixture to use with my 2 cycle engine RYOBI Outdoor Product?
Your 2-cycle engine requires pre-mixing gasoline and 2-cycle lubricant. Pre-mix unleaded gasoline and 2-cycle engine lubricant in a clean gas container. DO NOT mix quantities larger than usable in a 30-day period. Do not use automotive lubricant or 2-cycle outboard lubricant. We recommend using a RYOBI/Homelite premium 2-cycle oil or a PowerCare 2-cycle oil.
Filling your tank:
- Clean surface around fuel cap to prevent contamination
- Loosen fuel cap slowly. Rest the cap on a clean surface.
- Carefully pour fuel into the tank. Avoid spillage.
- Prior to replacing the fuel cap, clean around the gasket.
- Immediately replace fuel cap and hand tighten. Wipe up any fuel spillage
Note: it is normal for smoke to be emitted from a new engine after fist use.
26cc String Trimmer - Model RY28020, RY28040
Click the link below to access outdoor products replacement parts schematics and order parts online.
For those customers that prefer ordering by phone, simply contact the Ryobi master parts distributor at toll free 1-877-545-4110, and place your order over the phone.Visit Ryobi Outdoor Parts Store