Grow Your Own Avocado Plant
RYOBI Outdoor on
01/16/2015 at 9:21 AM in
Try something new this year - plant your own avocado tree!
Start the prep work now so come spring, your seedling will be ready to plant in the ground.
1. Remove the large brown pit from inside your avocado. Rinse the pit well and set it out to dry.
2. Push 4 toothpicks into the center of the seed (at its widest section). Put the toothpicks far enough in that they hold, but also so there is enough left to suspend the pit over a glass of water. The water should cover about an inch of the pit.
3. Put your water glass and seed in a warm place. Keep an eye on the water level to make sure it doesn’t get too low.
4. In 2-6 weeks, roots and a stem will begin to sprout from the seed. When the stem is approximately 6 inches long, trim it in half.
5. When the stem leafs again, transplant the seedling into a pot. Plant the seedling root down, leaving the top half of the pit above the soil.
6. Frequently water your plant and make sure it remains in an area with good sunlight.
Tip: Pinch back the newest top leaves every time the stem grows another 6 or so inches. This will help to encourage more growth and a fuller, healthier plant.