Two-tone Flooring & Floating Media Console
This project was a part of a honey-to-do list, after I had completed the previous project of refacing the fireplace and getting rid of the ugly carpet. I started by measuring the living room and dining room floors it's like an L shaped space between the two. I took off that ugly built in cabinet/shelving unit and fixed the wall plaster, paint, ran some electrical connections and wall mount for the TV. For the flooring I wanted a two-tone effect I had seen at a dept store, I ended up going with a maple (light) and a hickory (dark) hand scrapped floor from the HD (ratio was 35/65). The complete floor installation took me two days, the biggest pain was making the floor flat during preparation. For the media console I borrowed some images from amazon and then I added some extra features I wanted and since I ended up getting a bigger receiver now i need to add a usb powered fan so i can provide extra cooling to that unit. I used pine wood since it matched the wooden beams on the ceiling, but i went a little darker on the finish to make it pop a little more from the wall. I had to run some speaker wire in the small craw space in the attic and let me tell you.. that was a job itself the space was way too small for me. final touch was adding some RBG led lights and it looks sweet, very easy to do just remember to have enough room to run your cables through the wall. 3 weekends to complete not bad. the media console took the longest since I had to do it after work in the garage.