The Wife's Dream Master Closet
After getting quotes from several companies, I couldn't believe the cost to get a custom master closet. I looked at some prefab systems made of particleboard with a cheap veneer or sticker over the top. These systems simply hung on the wall and didn't provide that true built-in look that I was wanting. So I decided to design and built my own from scratch. I took the time to layout the project, but as with any project it evolved during the construction process. I was able to retrofit two existing dresser that I had into the design
Essentially you are building a series of boxes that you then attached together. I built a platform for the units to sit on to give the look of a cabinet toe-kick. Once the units were in I then installed a face-frame made from 1x4 boards. This gives the unit a more substantial look and hides the edges of the plywood.
I had the two dressers already. I cut off the legs, painted them and installed new hardware. Allowing the dressers to stick out slightly further than the closet units added some depth and gave a real nice built in look.
It took awhile to sand and paint all the wood. It took something like 3 gallons of paint and was the most time consuming part of the project. 17 sheets of plywood, 500 linear foot of face framing and a few hundred wood screws later....I am very happy with the end results.