This Stocking Holder project was a fun and exciting project that will be a part of our family Christmas tradition, hopefully, for years to come! We moved to a new house, and we no longer have a fireplace with a mantle. The thought is that we would create a reclaimed wooden project, that would require a "glue-up" of boards, some sanding, cutting, and drilling all with Ryobi tools! The wood and copper knobs are all reclaimed items from various locations all coming together in our new home. The writing is all a hand trace and painted on top of a walnut finish stain.
The biggest challenge of this project was really the timing and the artwork painting. The Glue-up timing process did take a lot of time, and we were not sure how the reclaimed wood would take not only the glue-up but also the stain. After a very deep sand with a power sander, the stain adhered easily.
The biggest surprise we faced, was really how well this little project turned out. From concept to reality, the project is pretty fun and is always rewarding when the finished product is better than the concept. I'm sure there may be many others out there for stocking holders, but this is ours, and all done with a labor of love for our family!
I did learn that stain really does not take well to left-over glue areas. I really tried to remove these with the sander and thought I did, but when the stain was applied, and then paint, there seemed to be no adhesion. However, it really adds a lot of character to the wood, and now I will be able to now consider less glue next time.
Family and friends love this project, and want to buy one ASAP for their Christmas stockings...we will see if I can get any done before Christmas.