This was technically before my first project the Farmhouse Table, but it was more of a rebuild than anything. My husband and I had this old headboard and footboard for a sleigh bed that we had been saving for years. Hoping one day to find or buy a frame to put it on. I was on the internet looking at those cheap flimsy frames that you can add them to, and I was just fed up. I decided that this was something I could build myself. I have seen many bed builds on my favorite site Shanty 2Chic and I felt confident that I could finally make this bed happen.
My Bestie and I went to home depot and picked out some 2x lumber and cut it down to the appropriate length (this is where those queen bed plans came into help because I had no idea how long a bed rail was supposed to be) and then cut some slats to fit. I glued and screwed a cleat into the rail and then screwed the slats in. This was her first time using power tools-- ever and I think she's now addicted. I took a video of her using my Ryobi Miter
Some Bedclaws purchased from amazon for $14 finished off this "dare to repair" project. We eventually stained the wood using ZAR 123 "Moorish Teak" I already had it on hand from a desk makeover project and it was a pretty close match to the bed. I used some old english "dark" scratch cover to bring the head and footboard back to life