Kitchen Install: Beginning to End
This project was one of the biggest and hardest ones. It was originally a kitchen, but it was built in the 1940’s and every single thing was outdated from the cabinets to the electrical wiring. I gutted the room down to studs and subfloor. This was actually my favorite part as I LOVE to tear things down. Then, the real work…the actual work…the not-quite-as-fun-but-still-fun work began. I began by running all new electric. This was a huge project in itself.Next, came the insulation. It is a necessary evil that I cuss each time I put it in.Once I conquered the wiring and insulation, I installed concrete backer board to get ready for the tile floor. I also put up sheet rock (drywall) and began hanging cabinets. These were difficult to do alone, but it worked out. After the drywall was up I began installing GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit interrupter) outlets and light switches. Next, I built a bulkhead above the cabinets to give the illusion of them going all the way to the ceiling. It is constructed out of 2″x4″s and 2″x2″s. The pieces above the cabinet were set back 1/2″ to allow for the pieces of tongue and groove flooring I placed over the frame to be flush with the faces of the cabinets.I placed large 16″x16″ terra cotta tile on the floor. I installed small tile on the backsplash. I used PEX for supply lines to the sink and refrigerator, painted the walls Sandstone, and trimmed out the cabinets, ceiling, doors, window, and installed baseboard. This project was intense and extremely fun.
Comments (1) Sign In To Follow Project