I wanted to update the look of this fireplace to a more modern look. The fireplace look dated and needed a new fresh look. I had to smooth the surface first using mortar because the mortar joints were either concave or recessed which made the smoothing tough. It was my first time smoothing brick so that was a bit messy, then I got the hang of it. I used 6x24 ceramic tile for the face and side walls, and 12x24 for the heart which I think was or looked like concrete or stone. I added a line of glass and aluminum tiles in the middle for a focal point for the front. I painted the old goldish metal screen with high heat matte spray paint. To finish it up I used a light grey non-sanded grout which I also used on the front rough edges of the heart. This project took my first two weekends of January and knocked out one of my many honey to-do list for 2014.