How much storage space is too much storage space? Is an entire wall of storage too much? We don’t think so. We’ve created a modular storage wall system out of crates of all sizes and a few French cleats. Once the cleats are mounted on the wall and the crates you can arrange and re-arrange as often as you like and with ease.
For the crates we use four sizes. Each size listed below is available for purchase on our site.
● 9 5/8 in. x 11 3/4 in. x 4 13/16 in
● 9 5/8 in. x 9 5/8 in. x 9 5/8 in
● 9 5/8 in. x 18 in. x 12 1/2 in
● 9 5/8 in. x 27 in. x 12 1/2 in
Our French cleats (found here) are pairs of 18” long unfinished white pine.
All of the crates we used are unfinished white pine and will look fantastic against any wall color.
Once you tire of any particular arrangement you can again re-arrange the crates into a new and exciting format.
Collect your crates. We used:
(4) square crates
(6) small crates
(7) large crates &
(3) x-large crates
Staple each cleat section to its corresponding crate with the angle cut toward the crate on the top cleat and the opposite for the bottom cleat. We used the bottom cleat as a spacer so that the crates would hang level.
Hang the complimentary cleat sides to the wall with the angle facing up and toward the wall. We chose three 8’ rows with 30” between each.
Arrange and hang the crates until you get them just right. Remember that you can set crates on top of the ones that you hang to add to the functionality of the system.
(24) French Cleat kits from cratesandpallet.com
(4) 9 5/8 in. x 9 5/8 in x 9 5/8 in. crates
(6) 9 5/8 in. x 11 ¾ in x 4 13/16 in. crates
(7) 9 5/8 in. x 18 in. x 12 ½ in. crates
(3) 9 5/8 in. x 27 in. x 12 ½ in. crates