While painting the ceiling in the study of my recently-purchased vintage home I discovered the original paint was oil-base – and I was using latex. Each pass of the roller peeled off old paint. The whole thing was a mess. I tried scraping the old paint off but with the rough plaster made it impossible.
Some weeks earlier I had brought home 22 old unwanted pallets thinking I would somehow use the wood because pallets are made from hardwood – oak, poplar, walnut, etc.
So I had a brainstorm. I’d make a wood ceiling to cover the awful ceiling!.
I cut the best of the wood from the pallets and ran them through my planer…then ripped, cut to length, and used Liquid Nails to attach them to 3x3 sheets of ¼ inch plywood as a backing and to fill in the center areas. I used 3x3 because I’d sized the pallet wood to 12” squares and could put 9 squares on each. Also 3x3 would be fairly easy to handle and install.
After a few coats of polyurethane, the beauty of the old wood came to life.
I ran furring strips across the ceiling and attached the 3x3 “parquet” sections to them with adhesive and nails. To cover the edges I ran beaded screen trim stained to match the parquet.
Once I got to the window area of the room I ran out of plywood backing so I used the last of the pallet wood and framed mirror tiles – which turned out nicely because they reflect more light into the room.
The craziest part of the whole project was that I installed this ceiling with a big baby grand piano in the middle of the room – and 3 months later had it moved out of the room!
Very Nice... Good Luck...
That is sweet. I'm going to do that in our kitchen. Beautiful!
Wow. This is nice!
Great use of reclaimed wood. Adds a nice interest to the ceiling