From 6 p.m. (EST) on February 17, 2019 until 6 a.m (EST) on February 18, 2019, this site will be under maintenance. Please be aware that some of the site functionality will be unavailable during this time.
Like all good things, I relied on the smarts of builders before me and then modified it to fit my needs! The original, from a beautiful mess, did not have routes edges, feet and was built purposefully to expose the raw hardwood plywood and screws. I think the routes edges add a really nice touch (literally and figuratively) and the feet were essential to make it steady on carpet! We’ve decided on staining them the same color as the bar top we built behind them!
I etched the mirror myself. I used contact paper, an exacto knife and armor etch cream. It was surprisingly simple! The time consuming bit was cutting out the letters in the contact paper. The design was inspired by where we used to live and what we used to fly.
Thank you. I appreciate it! Each door is two parts (front and back panel). I used a 3/8in rabbeting bit to route out the inside of one of the door panels to make grooves for each piece of glass. I used a little glue when placing the glass in the cutouts. Then I placed the other door panel on top with wood glue and a few countersink screws. The glass doesn’t move at all! I got great directions and inspiration from woodshop diaries!
Thank you! Once I draw the dimensions for the skyline, the simpler ones are about an hour or two of cutting, an hour of wood glueing/drying and then the stain and poly. The London one took a bit more time since I had to play with making all the different shapes and break out the jig saw. It was a fun project! It would probably be super fast with a scroll saw. A girl can dream : )