From 6 p.m. (EST) on February 17, 2019 until 6 a.m (EST) on February 18, 2019, this site will be under maintenance. Please be aware that some of the site functionality will be unavailable during this time.
This bowl took about three years of practicing the skills needed to develop the design. The actual bowl took about 20-25 hours, plus glue up times and wood selection/cutting to size. All the wood I use is harvested locally and has to be milled, cured and then cut to workable sizes. It usually takes 4-5 separate sessions with a planer before a bowl “blank” is ready for shaping. I am so glad you like it! The spalting in this bowl is spectacular, I almost didn’t use this maple because it was such a special piece.
Thanks! I did a lot of online research and found a number of PVC feeders. My goal was to make the food flow without interruption, even in moist environments, try to limit rodent access and make it easily refillable. I believe this feeder is unique because of the way the angles are connected (45 first, 90 last) and the last angled lip. The lip seems to deter the rodents and almost eliminated any spill of food. Chickens can be supper messy and splash the food out of whatever they eat from. Additionally, the food level devise is fantastic! I can see if the birds need a refill from across the property. That is solely my design and really just came about from thinking the whole process through. From building to daily use.
Thank you! The glue up is actually fairly easy because it is a flat surface. Cutting the rings correctly and turning it are the stressful processes. Trying to “see” the final outcome from a flat to a semi sphere is definitely the most challenging part of the whole process.
I will say that getting the 60-75 lbs. structure 10’ in the air and over the two support 4x4s, by myself, caused it’s own set of challenges. Some creative lever and pulley actions mixed with moving blankets, bar clamps and extending ladders somehow made it happen. Stressful!!
The biggest challenge was not having the appropriate tools for the job. As an example, I really needed a drill press. I used a level and the one+ drill/driver to drill holes through both sides of the 2x12, 4x4, 2x12 stack. Additionally, I did some creative hammering to get the 7” carriage bolts through evenly.