Choosing the appropriate chain saw for your needs can seem overwhelming. From light-duty battery-powered pruners to 20 gas chain saws, and tons of additional features, its hard to sort through all of the chain saw options. Let us help!
There are a variety of uses for chain saws. Its important to determine what you will be using your chain saw for before you buy!
- Trimming & Pruning (Light Use)
- Small Tree Cutting & Removing Tree Limbs (Light Medium Use)
- Storm Clean Up (Medium Use)
- Firewood Cutting (Heavy Use)
Corded Electric Chain Saws
Electric chain saws are light-weight and allow for endless run time, but they do require an extension cord that may restrict where you can work.
- Bar Length: 14 18
- Weight: 7 17 lbs.
- Price Range: $50 - $120
Low Voltage Cordless Chain Saws (18 36V)
Low voltage cordless chain saws allow for a light-weight, completely mobile option for light-medium duty chain saw tasks like trimming, limbing and light clean up. Cordless chain saws are also quieter and dont produce fumes.
- Bar Length: 10 12
- Weight: 6 10 lbs.
- Price Range: $120 170
High Voltage Cordless Chain Saws (40 80V)
High voltage cordless chain saws give customers the best of both words with gas-like power and cordless convenience. Some high voltage chain saws can do most things a gas chain saw can do like tree removal and storm clean up. Cordless chain saws are also quieter and dont produce fumes.
- Bar Length: 12 18
- Weight: 10 16 lbs.
- Price Range: $170 - $390
Gas Chain Saws
Gas chain saws offer the most powerful option, so theyre ideal for large projects like tree felling or cutting firewood. Look for models with anti-vibration to increase your comfort!
- Bar Length: 14 24
- Weight: 9 18 lbs.
- Price Range: 90 - $500
Features & Specifications:
Chain saws call out a variety of specs and features. Use this list to understand what they mean!
- Chain Pitch & Gauge: The chains pitch describes how far apart the rivets are on the chain and the gauge is how thick the chain is.
- Chain Speed: The chain speed will help gauge how quickly the saw will make complete cuts.
- Brushless Motor: A brushless motor is more efficient so it will provide better run time and power for cordless models.
- Anti-Vibration: Chain saws with anti-vibration reduce fatigue because they are much more comfortable to use over a period of time.
- Auto-Oiler: An auto-oiler lubricates the chain on its own.
- Push-Button Oiler: In order to keep the chain lubricated on a chain saw with a push-button oiler, you have to press the oiler between uses.
- Tool-less Chain Tensioning: Chain saws with tool-less chain tensioning make adjusting the chain easy by simply rotating the lever
- Safe-T Tip: Safe-T Tips reduce kickback when cutting.
- Chain Brake: A chain brake is a safety feature that stops the chain when it hits too much resistance.
- Carrying Case: Chain saws with carrying cases are easier and safer to transport. Plus, they protect the saw!